Jump to Navigation

Rockville Post-Divorce Modification Attorneys

Even the most carefully planned divorce and custody agreements may need modifications in the future. No one can predict exactly what will happen as children grow, parents age and the economy fluctuates. When circumstances change significantly, the court allows parts of the divorce decree to be modified.

Whether you are the party seeking or contesting the modification, it is important to have experienced legal counsel. If you are requesting a modification, the burden of proof lies with you. If you are fighting the modification, you need a lawyer who will argue your position before the judge. Our Rockville post-divorce modification lawyers can help you protect your rights and your family. Contact Avery & Upton to learn more.

Modifying Custody, Child Support And Alimony

To modify alimony, child custody, or child support, you must have a material change in circumstances. Deciding that you are not happy with the current arrangements or changing your mind is not a sufficient reason to seek a modification.

Child custody agreements may be modified if they are no longer working for the family and are not in the best interests of the children. Reasons that you may request a modification include:

  • Failing to abide by the terms of the parenting plan/custody agreement
  • A significant change in the health of a parent or child
  • Child neglect or abuse
  • Substance abuse by a parent
  • Parental relocation request

If custody modifications cannot be resolved by mediation or negotiation, we can represent you in court.

Child support and alimony awards are not determined using the same calculations, but in general, reasons for modifications may include:

  • One party losing a job or suffering another financial loss
  • One party filing bankruptcy
  • One party getting a higher paying job
  • A change in the health of one party
  • The changing needs of a child

In addition to modifications, our attorneys can help you with enforcement of court-ordered alimony and child support as well as the custody agreement.

Our Montgomery County Child Custody Modification Lawyers Can Help You

To schedule an appointment, please call 301-576-0950 or 866-919-9723, or contact us online.

Rockville Family Law Firm Avery & Upton

http://www.averyuptonlaw.com/ 301-762-7644 Avery & Upton is located in Rockville and represents clients in divorce and asset division cases throughout Maryland. Contact our Montgomery County family law attorneys to discuss your case.

Rockville Litigation Attorney | Avery & Upton

http://www.averyuptonlaw.com/ 301-762-7644 Rockville family law attorneys of Avery & Upton are experienced in complex divorce litigation cases. When a family law case needs to be resolved by the Maryland courts, we offer litigation representation.

Key Practice Areas

Helpful Client Tools

Contact Form

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Avery & Upton
51 Monroe Street, Suite 701
Rockville, MD 20850
Phone: 301-576-0950
Toll Free: 866-919-9723
Fax: 301-762-8539
Map and Directions